FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My husband is filing divorce paperwork today. He is

Customer Question

My husband is filing divorce paperwork today. He is demanding I change everything to my name by Monday. (Utilities, garbage, water, cable, insurance, etc.) Is that OK?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. He can demand all he wants but absent a court order, you do not need to change everything to your name. I say this because he could/may be responsible for some of these bills while the divorce is pending, so you want to make sure he pays them, if ordered by the court. Now, if he is going to vacate and no longer live there, then you may want to consider doing it, since you are in the home and if you can afford it. Depending on the situation, you may ask for temporary support and/or ask the Judge to order that he pays for this things until the divorce is final. At this point, you need to do what is in your best interest and until you are ordered by the Judge to do something, should proceed with caution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can he cancel my car insurance?

He should not be doing anything until and unless ordered by the Judge. If he does, then you would need to ask the court to require he pay for the policy

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!