FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My son has a child but the maternal grandmother refuse to

Customer Question

My son has a child but the maternal grandmother refuse to let him see him what could he do if there was never a dna done?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Where is the mother in all of this? Do you know why the grandmother is deciding if he can see the child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mother is here in Aurora where we live the baby lives in Mississippi with grandmother where the mother use to live

Thank you. If your son was never married to the mother, then he would need to establish paternity. A DNA test would need to be done, unless the mother were to acknowledge it and then he could obtain visitation, through a court order. The decision to see the child is up to the mother, unless the grandmother has legal custody over the child and the right to make the decision. If the mother left and is not involved, then he should proceed through the court to obtain relief, so he can see his child. Moreover, if the mother left the child, he may have grounds to see custody of the child, as the father, rather then have it left with the grandmother. He may want to address this with the grandmother, who is refusing to allow him to see the child and make her aware, that it is better that they work this out informally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still together

Yes, I did not receive any follow up question. Were you able to read my response above?

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the mother give up her rights to her mother with the fathers consent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The baby has his father's last name although they were never married and no dna

The mother can give up HER legal rights to the child but she can not give up his legal rights. However, since they were never married and there has yet to be paternity established, he can not just go and take the child. That must first be done, even though the child has his last name

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grandmother won't allow him to get a dna test can he petition the court even if the baby is in a different state

Yes, a court can order that the child be required to submit to the DNA test and he would need to do it where the child resides.

Is there anything else I can answer or clarify?