How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29592
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Devoice month my wife left me with all the bill and the

Customer Question

Devoice for 16 month my wife left me with all the bill and the house payments were behind and i get everything up to date.she left because she didn't want to help pay the bills even do she sign to help pay for the house like u did so she see that i didn't lose it so now after been seprated after over 2 and a half years now she want to try to make me sell it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

In a divorce, each spouse is entitled to half the equity in the marital home. This is true regardless of who paid for what during the marriage. If you can afford to buy out your wife's share, then the judge will most likely allow you to keep the property, as long as you can continue to make the payments. She cannot force you to sell the house without a court order, though, and to get a court order, she needs to convince the divorce court judge that it's fair for you to have to sell the house.

The judge can order you to make reasonable efforts to refinance the house in your name only, but even if you can't, you may be able to stay as long as you can make the payments.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions