Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I have received a notification of a grant, how do I find out

Customer Question

I have received a notification of a grant, how do I find out if this is legitimate, they want $200 and I get a grant of $9200?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you tell me how you were contacted regarding the grant? Was it through an email?

.

What is the grant for?

.

Did you apply for the grant with a formal application?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They called me, I did not apply, they want $200 moneygram and I will receive $9200 immediately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the number is(###) ###-#### ***** have called them back several times and they do answer but I am unsure if they are legitimate
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

There is about 100% chance that this is a scam... If you never applied for a grant, then you wouldn't receive one just randomly from some stranger or organization. Further, you would never have to pay to receive a grant...a grant is free money to use for a specific purpose. Finally, if they are demanding payment by an untraceable source like Western Union or moneygram, then this ensures that they are trying to scam you.

.

So if you give them any personal information or money, you may find yourself the victim of identity theft as well as being out any money..

.

.

thanks