Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I've lived with my boyfriend years just outside of

Customer Question

I've lived with my boyfriend for 3 years just outside of Louisville KY. We have a 6 month old baby. He is wanting me and the baby to move out NOW. The lease is in his name. Do I have any legal rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Yes, you absolutely have rights here. Even if you aren't on the lease, you are considered a month to month tenant and your boyfriend would have to give you a written 30 day notice to terminate your tenancy. If you didn't move within that 30 days, then he would have to pursue a formal eviction action through the courts to force you to move. This typically takes about another month depending on the court's and sheriff's schedules.

.

So realistically, he couldn't force you to move out for about 60 days if you refused to move.

.

If he tried to force you to move out, you can call the police and they will explain to him that unless he has a court order of eviction, he can't force you to move out.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks