Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My kids grandma has legal Temporary custody my husband blew

Customer Question

My kids grandma has legal Temporary custody my husband blew our rent money caused me to be homeless I had to leave the state due to homelessness can I get in trouble for abandonment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Parental rights can only be terminated due to abandonment when a parent abandons a child for at least four months before the petition is filed. That typically also means that the parent is sending no money for the support of the child, is not visiting, and is not calling, emailing, texting, skyping, sending letters, or otherwise communicating with the child in any way. Leaving the children in the care of someone who has temporary custody and is caring for them is not automatically going to be abandonment unless you do not return or communicate with the children for an extended period of time.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I been trying to communicate she refuses to let me talk to them
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

She has no right to prevent you from talking to your children unless you've voluntarily relinquished your parental rights or she's had them terminated.