KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

My sister is trying to enroll her children into school. She

Customer Question

My sister is trying to enroll her children into school. She is staying with me temporarily until she can afford to live on her own. In order for her children to go to school their names need to be added on my lease. The apartments are stating that I would need to show proof of gaurdianship. We completed the form and had it notarized. The complex is stating that we will need an attorney and attend court. Is this true?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

I find it hard to believe that your landlord is really making you go through this in order to get your sister's children enrolled in school. It seems ridiculous to me. I also find it hard to believe that the school really needs proof of a lease in order for them to enroll. I would think that it would be ok for her to be staying with family.

I am convinced that you can get this done in a more simple way. I think you need to speak with both the school and the landlord again.

In the event that it is necessary for you to get guardianship, you must be aware that this will remove the mother's legal responsibility for the children and is a huge undertaking for you. I definitely do not advise it. And yes, you would have to go to court and have a hearing to get guardianship, and it could take many months, or even up to a year to go through.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hello, I just want you to know that I am online today, if you have any follow up questions relating to your original question.

If not, please be sure to close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating, which will ensure that I get paid for my work with you and that the system doesn't keep your money.

Take care,

Kim

I just want to make sure that the system doesn't keep your money, which will also ensure that I get credited for my work with you. Please go ahead and close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating.

Best of luck and take care,
Kim

Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 12 months ago.

Hi there,

It has been 6 days since I answered your question, and the question is still open. I need to close it out so that I get paid for my work with you. Please go ahead and provide feedback of 4 or 5 so that I can get credit for my work and close out the question.

Thank you!

Kim