Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

My father has been divorced once and a widow. He is now

Customer Question

My father has been divorced once and a widow. He is now currently living with a woman and is thinking of getting married. My mom is still alive and didn't get any benefits from my father when they divorced. He claimed bankruptcy and she settled for a portion of his retirement. My dad is thinking of marrying his friend. He has asked for our input and frankly we'd like to have some inheritance for our kids.
My questions are: Can My mother get any social security benefits since they have been divorced and he eventually remarried. They were together 16 years. and Can he just offer life rights to the house to offer his new friend some support without signing over everything? If they marry, we could lose all claims to everything.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

1. Can My mother get any social security benefits since they have been divorced and he eventually remarried.

Since their marriage lasted at least 10 years, and if mom does not remarry, she can can receive benefits based on dad's employment record (even if he remarries) if:

• mom is age 62 or older;

• the benefit that mom is entitled to receive based on her own work is less than the benefit she would receive based on dad's work; and

• dad is in fact entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

2. Can he just offer life rights to the house to offer his new friend some support without signing over everything?

Yes, he and his friend can own the home as a life estate with the remainderman passing to mom or her children upon the end of dad's or friend's life; whoever lives longer. So they can live there or rent it out till the end of their lives but then the property passes to the remainderman.