Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Approx. nine months ago unemployed man ordered to pay child

Customer Question

Approx. nine months ago unemployed man ordered to pay child support. He is now employed at a fitness center. He was ordered to pay at minimum wage scale. Can I take him back to court so he can be ordered to pay according to his current income. Is there a time restriction as to when I can file or could I have filed immediately upon learning he was employed? Also, my family was charged by the hospital for the delivery of the baby, can he be ordered to pay the entire bill or at least half of the cost?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

In most states, you can apply for modification immediately upon a change in circumstances, but in some states, you can only do so if the modification would pass a certain thresshold. What state are you in? Also, in most states, you could get shared childbirth costs, but the way to do it varies depending on where you are procedurally in your court case. Did you file a paternity action in order to get the child support order? If so, what is the status of that case?