Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I just had a visit with my 16 year old Granddaughter, she

Customer Question

I just had a visit with my 16 year old Granddaughter, she got got in trouble at her Homecoming, was caught having sex with a boy, when her father picked her up and got her home he hit her so hard on her bottom left bruises, smacked her in the face, she said her jaw hurt for days and the he kicked her. She does not live with her mother, however she was up here visiting her mother and stayed with me last night, we talked for 2 hours, when all this and so much more was disclosed. Her father texted her mother saying he did not want her back, but my daughters husband refused to have her stay there, she's a good kid, 4.0 average in school and was active in the sports program, she was put in alternative learning program for 45 days, where she is unable to maintain her AP classes. I offered my daughter to let her come here with me as no one seems to want her. What she has suffered through at home is horrible, no human should have to be kept in solitary, with no door on her room. She does not use drugs or alcohol. Is there anything I can do as her Granmdmother, she wants to be here with me and where else can she go when everybody in her life has bailed on her. She had sex, is that so horrible. They might as well given her a scarlet letter.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The mother can allow you to have the child come to stay with you. You can also report the father for beating her and leaving bruises to child protection and they can remove his custody rights. You and the mother need to go to court to file a petition for guardianship of a minor after you file the complaint with child protection and get the court to grant you custody/guardianship, which would allow you to make decisions for her as necessary and would prevent the father from trying to come back and force her to come back home.
I would strongly urge you, because FL dislikes pro se (unrepresented parties) to get a local attorney involved to represent you and your granddaughter to get you guardianship over her.