mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I have permanent legal custody of grandchild i am 62 and

Customer Question

i have permanent legal custody of grandchild i am 62 and trying to appeal decision denying benefits due to child not being adopted etc. father is disabled, mother non supporting and will not relinquish parent rights so i can adopt options:
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

You can file to involuntarily terminate mother's paternal rights. You will have to prove that mother is unfit and has provided no support for in excess of 6 months for child. This would then accomplish your goal of obtaining SS benefits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not learn anything new. It is almost impossible to obtain an involuntary termination in florida. I was hoping to find precedent in social security law that has made exception in past
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

There is no exception on a Social Security all that I'm aware of. The only option is to file for an involuntary termination of parental rights.