mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I have a domestic partnership which was filed in CA in 2002.

Customer Question

I have a domestic partnership which was filed in CA in 2002. I married the same person in Arkansas in 2007. I'm divorcing the same person currently, in 2015, in Tennessee where we have lived for a year. Will I get credit for all of the years we have been together, or just those we were legally married?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The divorce paperwork will be filed in Hendersonville, TN, Sumner County. There is a minor child involved.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

Marital property is what is divided at the time of a divorce. Marital property is defined as assets acquired from the date of marriage until the date of separation. Marital property is called a marital estate. Property acquired before or after marriage is not part of the marital estate subject to division in a divorce proceeding. Unfortunately, any property acquired during the domestic partnership is not divisible in the divorce proceeding. If it is titled in your name alone it does not have to be shared with partner and vice versa. If it was titled jointly prior to marriage it will have to be divided.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck. I understand that this may not be the answer you like to hear but it is the honest and accurate answer. Please don't rate me maybe negatively because the answer is unfavorable.