socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My ex-spouse will is denying me my visitation. I have a

Customer Question

My ex-spouse will is denying me my visitation for Thanksgiving. I have a parenting plan and text messages to support my claim. I'm suppose to pick up my daughter in the morning. What should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

1. Contact the local sheriff or police department, and ask them if they will enforce a parenting order. Some law enforcement departments will enforce -- others won't. There's no way to know without asking. If they agree to enforce, you show up at the regular time, and if the other parent refuses to transfer the child, you call the sheriff/police and ask them to respond to your request for enforcement. This is effectively domestic disturbance, though, as I said, many times law enforcement will not agree to enforce the court orders.

2. If law enforcement refuses, all you can do is wait for the time when you can get the child without a fight, and then make the best of the day. Then, on Monday, you can file an order to show cause for contempt and let the court decide what sort of punishment to order against the recalcitrant parent.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!