How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9296
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. We are a gay couple and just had our

Customer Question

Hello I have a question. We are a gay couple and just had our wedding ceremony in Greece in September of this year, although it's not officially recognised there. It was just a civil ceremony. We would like to make the marriage official in San Francisco by registering it there in January 2016. We are both foreign citizens from Singapore & Australia & non residents of the U.S. Although I used to live in the U.S. for 4 years attending university in San Francisco and Ithaca, New York.
1) Do we qualify to register our marriage licence in San Francisco as foreign nationals or must we be U.S. citizens?
2) Do we need any other specific documentation ( over and above the current requirement list )?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Greece does not recognize same sex marriage, so you are not legally married.

You can legally get married in San Francisco whether or not either of you is a citizen of the US, see

Please let me know if this does not answer your question prior to rating my answer.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thq for responding. So once the marriage licence is issued there is a 90 day period where the couple must get married for the licence to be valid correct? How do we go about meeting that requirement, because we already had a wedding ceremony in Greece? Can we get that done the same day we get the marriage licence at City Hall?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can get married at City Hall for an additional fee of $78 but you will need to bring at least one person to act as a witness, see

Related Family Law Questions