Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

If someone gets married secretly, is there any way that

Customer Question

If someone gets married secretly, is there any way that others could find out?
I am a graduate student and remain under my mother's insurance. My fiance and I plan to get married within the next year but for personal reasons we wish to keep it a secret from family members at this time. Assuming that I do not join my fiance's insurance plan (remaining on my mother's), and we file taxes separately (i.e. my parents would claim me as a dependent instead of my husband while I'm still in school), is there a way they might find out that I should know about? I am aware that marriage records are public.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unless someone looks for your marriage license, there is really no reason anyone would know unless you tell them. You can have a private ceremony in front of a judge and let him know that you would prefer it be kept secret.

There is no way anyone would find out unless you told them or they actively looked for the records.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?