socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My wife took off to italy. She is now moving in with some

Customer Question

my wife took off to italy. She is now moving in with some guy in england. Is this considered abandonment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Oregon law does not recognize the doctrine of spousal abandonment. ORS 107.036 ("(1) The doctrines of fault and of in pari delicto are abolished in suits for the annulment or dissolution of a marriage or for separation.").

You may want to consider bringing an action for divorce in the Oregon Circuit Court, and request an emergency order granting you temporary sole custody, so that you can use the order as grounds to obtain the assistance of Italy law enforcement in the recovery of your child.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!