FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My x-wife sent me an email saying I owed lots of money /2 of

Customer Question

My x-wife sent me an email saying I owed lots of money for 1/2 of medical expenses for my kids. My kids have medical insurance but she took them out of network for all these medical expenses. I was never informed that they were going to any medical doctors
nor that they were taken out of network. Do I have to pay for these out of network medical bills that I was never told about?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. What does the divorce decree say in regard to this? Are medical costs supposed to be shared? Do you know why she went out of network for these services?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says we are to split the medical costs. My x-wife is being totally crazy now to me. She went out of network probably to push my buttons.Divorce says:
With respect to medical insurance: The wife currently has coverage for the children under her medical coverage where she works in the school. If there is an out-of-pocket cost for the children’s portion of the health insurance, the parties will share that cost equally.The parties agree with the plan provider to the extent that there is an out of pocket expense for the children, such as deductibles, the parties will split those equally.

Thank you for the additional information. Based upon the language in the decree, you would need to share the cost. I say this because there is nothing that says that the mother must use an in network provider and can not go out of network. Moreover, the language indicates that the parties agreed with the plan provider and if there is no out of network coverage, then a PPO or a plan which would allow her to go out of network, should have been selected. Now, you can always try and argue that she should have used an in network provider, unless there was no other choice and she should have made a good faith effort to call the insurance company and find an in network provider to take the children to. You can also ask the Judge to order going forward, that she does that as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I read:This is paying for the health insurance plan.
"we must pay out-of-pocket for the children’s portion of the "health insurance" "This is saying we must pay for deductibles based on the plan provider:
"The parties agree with the plan provider to the extent that there is an out of pocket expense for the children, such as deductibles, the parties will split those equally."I do not see anything stating she can spend tens of thousands of dollars on Out-Of-Network services.

If there is nothing contained within, based upon the language, then you want to use and argue that IF she attempts to take you back to court for get the additional costs. Moreover, if this plan does not allow you to go out of network, then there would be NO deductible, since the payments would not be applied to the plan and would go directly to the doctor.