Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I am going thru a divorce and my ex wife says that our

Customer Question

I am going thru a divorce and my ex wife says that our daughter would be able to get more financial aid for college if she claimed her on her taxes. Is that true
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

While I realize that you are looking for a yes or no answer, it is not quite that simple. Most colleges and graduate schools are required to use the financial information of the parents of the student up to the age of 26 or 27 and in many schools that is even if the student is married and not living at home. The theory is that the family of the student should help to pay for school no matter what the student's personal situation is like. So. if your daughter's school requires you and your ex to submit your financial information every year until a certain cut off age (check with the financial aid offices -- call them yourself) -- then it will make no difference whatsoever whether your daughter is claimed as a dependent on your income taxes or your ex's income taxes -- or even if your daughter claims herself on her income taxes. All income of the family without deductions will be considered in the calculations.

-

I actually went through this myself when I went to college and law school -- I was married at the time and the school financial aid office still required the financial information for my parents to be submitted. And it did not matter which parent claimed me as a dependent or if I claimed myself on a separate tax return. There were no advantages whatsoever for me if my parents claimed me on their return and which parent claimed me on their return.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions on this topic. Ifnot, can you please press a positive rating above this section so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above before you leave the website ) a positive rating is the middle star, the fourth star or the fifth star over to the right in the ratings section above). THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY