Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My husband is a prominent attorney in a small state. We are

Customer Question

My husband is a prominent attorney in a small state. We are considering divorce. The first lawyer I spoke to told me many lawyers in my state decline representation against colleagues. Should I look to a neighboring state for an attorney admitted here or keep trying ion my home state?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, if your husband is well known in the state and it is a small state, you could do better if you find an attorney in a neighboring state who is also licensed in your state. Many times with small states, the attorneys in the contiguous states are licensed in multiple states (especially if you are in the New England area, where many MA attorneys are licensed in RI and even NH and VT).