Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

We have been together years and married. But got Devorsed in

Customer Question

We have been together for 25 years and married for 10. But got Devorsed in 2013. But still living as husband and wife. Nothing really had changed but on paper. Now I really thank it is over is their any way to re do the Devorsed
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in?

In most states, living together as husband and wife does not create a marriage, and if you are not married, you don't need to do a divorce. You can just move into separate residences and live your own lives. Are there property or support issues that you want settled? Are there children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We r in Kansas. We where married in 2002 and Devorsed in 2013. But just on paper. We never made it public and we have 2 kids and we had joint cust. And now he has full with me just visitations and no over nights and I sing them because I thought it would prove my love to him but is has gotten worse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boy was I wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R u still their
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

I'm here. You may want to modify the custody order to reflect what you're actually doing, but you don't need to redo the divorce.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

However, Kansas is one of the few states the recognizes common law marriage. If you've been living as husband and wife and presenting as a married couple to the world, you may, indeed, be married under Kansas law. In that case, you would need to file a new divorce.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, I would appreciate if you would accept my answer so that I may get credit for my work. Thank you!