FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

A couple lived in Florida and spouse moved to Colorado and

Customer Question

A couple lived in Florida and spouse moved to Colorado and after living in Colorado for six months she filed for divorce. Would Colorado have jurisdiction over such matter, Husband still lives in Florida
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she could file. The reason why I say this is because to obtain a divorce in Colorado, one of the spouses must have lived in the state for at least 90 days prior to commencement of the proceeding. As such, she would have met the residency requirement and could file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i thought that Colorado has 12 months residency requirement, where is the information about 90 days coming from

Here is a link to Colorado Legal Services which evidences it.

http://www.coloradolegalservices.org/lawhelp/resource/frequently-asked-questions-about-divorcedisso?ref=MKunq

And here it is from the courts.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/PDF/JDF%201095%20Flowchart%20Divorce%20with%20no%20childrenR7-12.pdf

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!