LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

If you were married in California 10 days ago, and find out

Customer Question

If you were married in California 10 days ago, and find out your spouse is a horrible person, and they deceived you as to their intentions, can the marriage be voided within a 30 day period after the marriage?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I wish it were possible. No, there is no law---anywhere in the US---allowing a person 30 days to change their mind about having gotten married.

Annulment is only an option in very rare and unusual instances, such as:

1. Where the marriage was procured through force, fraud, or one of the spouses suffers from a physical or mental incapacity (insanity or being declared incompetent by a court), or

2. One of the spouses was legally too young to marry (which in CA is under 18 without parental permission, or

3. One of you was already married at the time of your marriage to each other.

Unless there are grounds for an annulment----which is very rare----then under CA law, all you can do is file for divorce.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug