Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

How are you? and back in August I asked you questions

Customer Question

Hi How are you? My name is ***** ***** back in August I asked you questions regarding my brother getting a green card renewal and Italian passport. He applied for green card renewal and to our shock we waited and waited and we finally called the office in
Miame to find out what the status of this passport was and we were told it was mailed out in October and you should have received it. We did not receive it and if lost we need to pay additional $485 to renew and we do not know where in the world this green
card is at? We want to apply for Italian passport when green card is issued and we are now back to square one
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under USCIS rules any lost green card has a fee to replace the card I am afraid. See: http://www.uscis.gov/i-90.
You can write a letter to them requesting a waiver of the fee based on it being lost in the mail. However, the only way they will waive the fee is if the green card is returned to them by the post office. Otherwise, you will have to pay the fee to get a replacement.