Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a schedule Hearing on Motion to vacant judgement in

Customer Question

I have a schedule Hearing on Motion to vacant judgement in district court in Maryland. However, my prior attorney was able to reach settlement and stated that my attendance may be required pending the repayment of the settlement to the Plaintiff. Does this mean that the settlement will result is the judgement being vacated or is there a possibility that the judge could still uphold the judgement? I was never served and this was stated in my motion to vacant judgement. I dont want this on my credit report.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Whether or not the judgment would be vacated depends on the terms of the settlement that your attorney has reached with the other party --- the terms of which you should have been advised.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

In short, the judge is going to do whatever the parties ask (in all likelihood) so long as everyone agrees. So, the issue isn't whether the judge will uphold the judgment or vacate it.......the issue will be whether or not the parties (you and the other side) have agreed to withdraw/vacate the judgment.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That said, it is very likely that a term of the settlement is for the judgment to be vacated......and since you're settling, the other party really has no use for a judgment any longer --- because the settlement being paid will resolve the debt and make the judgment irrelevant.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!