mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

Can CP's really stop me from adopting my grandson because I

Customer Question

Can CP's really stop me from adopting my grandson because I smoked marijuana
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

Dealing with CPS can be a nightmare or just an unpleasant experience depending on the case worker you are dealing with. Although marijuana is not hardcore drug like heroin, meth, or cocaine Marijuana is still illegal. If it comes up in any of your drug screenings I would try to indicate it happened as far in the past as possible and that you do not currently use. The key will be Isolating this issue to your past and that it is not a present problem. If you already have some positive drug screenings perhaps you can try utilize a medical reason for the use. Nonetheless, I think you will still need to indicate you have discontinued such use. Acknowledging that you are violating the law places CPS in a difficult position to approve your adoption. It is a huge liability for them if anything would happen to the child during your care.

If CPS 's information is based off of a self disclosure by you about your past rather than a current drug screen I think you have a good shot of proceeding with the adoption if you minimize, isolate and indicate it is not a current and issue.

I hope that this information and advice is helpful I wish you the best of luck with this adoption.