How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RONB-ESQ Your Own Question
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RONB-ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got 8 years of alimony being married years, can I go back

Customer Question

I got 8 years of alimony being married for 24 years, can I go back to court and ask for the additional 4 years I should have gotten. My lawyer told me I get a 1/3rd which is 8 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. I see you have a question about family law matter. I have handled matters like this in the past and believe I can help you understand your rights. In the event I believe you should seek a local attorney, I will advise you of that as well.

Could you give me more information? Are you seeking to enforce an existing order or modify a previously entered order. If existing order how long ago was it entered?

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to clarify a few things since i was unsure if this was a newly completed case or older case. I am about to sign off for the night and have an all day appt tomorrow, but I will be available tomorrow evening if you need follow up.

I will answer 2 ways:

1. If this is an older case then typically the Court has jurisdiction for a period between 30-60 days after the final order is entered. During that time you can seek a re hearing. You can make a motion for a new trial, or file appeal. In most family Courts after that period ends all the Judge can do is take steps to enforce his order. If children are involved then the Court has continuing jurisdiction to modify its order based on certain situations. I know this is frustrating as it sounds like your attorney could have worked to nail down all the liabilities and assets before making any final agreement.

2. If this is an ongoing case then as you note from above you have a limited time after the final order is entered (usually date signed by judge) to seek rehearing, new trial, etc.

If I read your question correctly your case is an older one that was finalized more than 6 months ago. If this is the case please don't shoot the messenger, but baring some evidence of intentionally committing a fraud on the Court it is unlikely that the Order can be changed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If for any reason you feel you received anything less, please reply back to me and I will attempt to further clarify my answer. I truly appreciate you rating me when we are done.



Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

It is my goal to provide you excellent service and do my best to fully answer the question you posted. The only way I get any credit for my answer is if you give me a positive rating between good-excellent. I would truly appreciate you taking the time to go back and review my answer and give me feedback. In the event you don’t feel like I answered your question please reply so I have an opportunity to fully answer the question you asked. In the event you have already provided feedback and I missed it Thank you and please disregard.



Related Family Law Questions