Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I have not been able to find an attorney that I can afford

Customer Question

I have not been able to find an attorney that I can afford the retainer. I have a court date tomorrow and fear that if I go unrepresented the family court judge will have me for lunch. The situation is my ex-wife and son (19 yr old) are seeking college money from. The twist to this situation is that my ex-wife is a victim advocate for the county and deals with the court on a regular basis. With that said, I want request a change of venue. Is this something I can do and if so, how do I do it. My hope is that it would buy me a little more time. Thoughts?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to request a change of venue, you have to file a written motion, or in the case of the last minute you are up against, an oral motion for the change of venue. You would have to show some evidence to the court that you cannot get a fair and impartial hearing in that venue because of her relationship to the courts. The change of venue of course is discretionary to the court, so you need to present some evidence of her connection to this particular judge/court, which would show at least an appearance of impropriety, if not an actual bias by this specific court.