Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I asked about student loan and spousal support....you

Customer Question

I asked about student loan and spousal support....you answered student loan, but how can i protect future wife from default on my spousal support...same answer?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation. .

.

If you were to remarry, your new wife is not legally obligated to pay any of your pre-marriage debts that you incurred. She doesn't become liable for your separate debts just by marrying you. So if you were to default on your spousal support, your ex can only come after you for payment through any assets that your name is ***** *****

.

With that in mind, you wouldn't want to have your name on wife's assets as that could subject them to being seized and levied on for your debts. .

.

Thanks.

..Barrister