mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I have a question if I'm in another country and my wife is

Customer Question

Hey Andrea I have a question if I'm in another country and my wife is in the states how do we get a different?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we get a divorce sorry for saying different.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

You would file the divorce proceedings in the state and country in which you last resided together for a period of 6 months or longer. One person would be the plaintiff and the other would be the defendant. The plaintiff must serve the defendant with a copy of the divorce complaint. The defendant can make this much easier by agreeing to accept service of the divorce complaint sign an acknowledgement of receipt form. If the parties have an agreement as to how they want to divide their property, handle any child custody issues and handle an child support they can file a marrital settlement agreement to avoid litigation. Depending on what state its in they may not even have to appear in court.

I hope that this information and advice is helpful and I wish you the best of luck regarding the resolution of the marital issues.