Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

If I take my husband's last name, by law do I have to change

Customer Question

If I take my husband's last name, by law do I have to change it at the Social Security Office?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

To legally use your husband's name on documents, it would have to be changed with Social Security, the RMV, and on all of your other official documents. This is what you need for identification. If the name on your SS card and driver's license is different, you could have problems with cashing tax return checks. It could also cause problems down the road when you want to collect social security if you're working under a different name than what's attached to your social security card.

Note that there is no reason you can't use your husband's name socially without changing it legally. Many people do that for professional or personal reasons, or even because it's a big hassle to change everything. Putting on the marriage certificate that you're going to change your name to take your husband's name does not legally obligate you to change it with the Social Security Office or anywhere else if you do not intend to use the new name.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.