LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I have been representing myself now, while my soon to be ex

Customer Question

Hi. I have been representing myself for months now, while my soon to be ex still has her attorney. Am I allowed to bring in a friend to help me with discussions and negotiations between her and her lawyer in private meetings outside of the Court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While an outside person who is not an attorney may not assist you in any court proceeding or in the preparation of any pleading, there is nothing which prohibits you from having a friend with you in negotiations and discussions with your soon to be ex and her attorney outside the courtroom setting. I can pretty much assure you that her attorney will probably express some reluctance---especially of your friend tries to speak or direct the discussions---but the law does not prevent your friend from attending or participating along with you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug