LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

What is the Law in Kansas regarding Spousal support if you

Customer Question

what is the Law in Kansas regarding Spousal support if you get remarried, is it automatically terminated upon remarriage, if there is nothing stated in the divorce documents about being terminated upon remarriage??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As there is nothing stated in your decree as to what circumstances might result in a change in spousal support, the law allows a party to apply to the court for a modification of support at any time that there is a significant change in financial circumstances. This actually would allow for not only a reduction or termination of support, but also a potential increase under certain circumstances as well.

However, under Kansas law there are two circumstances under which eligibility for spousal support ends and those two situations are if either party dies, or if the receiving party re-marries.

So in your situation, if you were to remarry, your ex would be allowed to apply to the court to terminate paying spousal support.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug