LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I got married on 1/1/2015 - the marriage isn't working

Customer Question

Hi, I got married on 1/1/2015 - the marriage isn't working out due to emotional neglect and the lack of financial contribution from my new spouse. We haven't mixed bank accounts, never filed taxes together, etc...nothing is in both names. How easily could
this marriage be dissolved at this point? I am about $1400 in the hole every month since I married this man. In just the last couple of months he has started contributing about $500 every other week so it isn't as bad as it was but it is still pretty bad.
Since the marriage is so new, is there any "quick exit route" or do we still have to go through all of the court battles etc? Or could we both just fill out the papers, file them with the court house and wait out our 6 months?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is no easy way to get a divorce. Whether you have been married 3 months or 30 years, the process is exactly the same. If you both agree to get a divorce, the paperwork is straightforward and can be done with the help of a paralegal for about $1,000, and 6 months later you are divorced.

If the divorce is not agreed on, then the process can take a year or longer.

However, under CA law, the moment you separate (typically requires that you live apart---or at least reside in separate rooms and not participate in life as a married couple), all income you earn is yours and no longer community property. That will make your life easier based on the loss you are suffering each month.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug