mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I have a foreign court order son child support. I know how

Customer Question

I have a foreign court order for my son child support. I know how to go about to get it enforced. I have to have it translated from french to English but I wanted to know can I claim the translation fees? Secondary question he owes me lawyer fees since
2012 which he has never paid. In Switzerland I would have the right to claim 5% a year. Can I ask for late fees in California?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

You will have to have your foreign order filed in the California courts. Once the foreign judgment is filed with the California courts you will be entitled to enforce the terms of the order / judgment. US has commity with foreign countries and the enforcement of their orders. You should be able to have the same rights to enforce the Swiss order in California as you do in Switzerland. Hence I would claim all fees and expenses that you would be entitled to claim in Switzerland.

I Hope this information and suggestions are helpful and I wish you the best of luck enforcing your order.