ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

We are not divorced yet. Question is; If my (soon to be ex

Customer Question

We are not divorced yet. Question is; If my (soon to be ex spouse) decides to move or go on vacation with (our) child can the spouse do so? In other words will I be able to prevent my soon to be "ex spouse" from taking my child away. Seems like a simple enough question to warrant an easy answer in laymen terms
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I assume that you don't have a temporary court order regarding child custody. In that situation, BOTH of you have equal rights to the child. Either of you can take the child out of the state with or without the other's consent. Again, you have equal rights. Now IF either of you were to do that, California would retain jurisdiction over such a child custody matter (per the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act). And courts frown upon such actions. It's not kidnapping, etc... but it also would not look "good" for his chances to get custody. And if he were to do this, and you were to take it to court for custody proceedings, (all other things being equal) you'd get custody, and he'd have to return your child. If he didn't, at THAT point he could be charged with kidnapping. But legally speaking he could take your child and not return (until a court order compels it). A court order has to say otherwise.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!