LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Can I leave home at 17? I live in Plano, Texas. I would have

Customer Question

can I leave home at 17? I live in Plano, Texas. I would have a safe place to live where I would be provided with my own room and clothing and food. I have a job and I would also be able to provide for myself a little, but not completely because I am still in school. I know if I left home without my parents permission, they would report me as a missing person, but I don't know how much the cops would actually do since I am 17, and will be turning 18 in 6 months. I have been charged with running away once and was held in a detention center for minors until my parents could get me when I was 16 but that was when I lived in Nebraska. I have called the police department and have gotten lots of varied answers on what I can and can't do at 17. please let me know. thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under Texas law, while you are not free to do as you wish until you reach age 18, you may apply for Emancipation to the court and ask permission to be relieved of your disabilities and to live on your own. The law holds as follows:

§31.001: REQUIREMENTS.

(a) A minor may petition to have the disabilities of minority removed for limited or general purposes if the minor is:

(1) a resident of this state;
(2) 17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and living separate and apart from the minor’s parents, managing conservator, or guardian; and
(3) self-supporting and managing the minor’s own financial affairs.

(b) A minor may file suit under this chapter in the minor’s own name. The minor need not be represented by next friend. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, § 1, eff. April 20, 1995.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug