Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am trying to make a deal with ex to give a lump sum in

Customer Question

I am trying to make a deal with ex to give a lump sum in child support. She has agreed but i was told that if she spends it all she can go to court and ask cor more money after giving her the full amount for three years
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Child support is typically determined by two factors:

1. Difference in income of both parents; and

2. Time-sharing agreement.

In the event that there is a change in either of these factors, the spouse receiving the support can petition the court for a recalculation of the child support obligation. So, if you got a new, higher paying job or if you're time-sharing agreement said you would take your child 50% of the time, but you are now only taking your child 20% of the time (because logically, if the child is spending more with the parent receiving support, they would need more support to pay for the child's needs).

However, just because you pre-pay the support and your ex spend it all, does not automatically entitle her to more support.