P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My husband has been divorced 15 years. Moved many times,

My husband has been divorced for almost 15 years. Moved many times, sold many houses he's lived in. We recently just sold our house that we have lived in for over 7 years for a big profit due to all the remodeling and upgrades we put into it. His ex-wife is taking him to court to try to get a portion of the profit. Can she do that? My husband pays his child support every month, never missed a month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Texas and have the profit currently sitting in savings until we find a home.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Unless the divorce decree says otherwise, she has no right to the profits from a home he sold AFTER the marriage ended.

When a couple goes through divorce, one of the roles of the court is to divide the assets and debts of the estate.

When your spouse divorced, his decree of divorce specified who was entitled to what from the marital estate.

So take a look at that decree of divorce. Unless it states she gets part of the profit from this home (the one she is claiming he owes her a portion of the profits on), she has no right to the proceeds

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.