FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Dear Family Lawyer, I am considering getting married in

Customer Question

Dear Family Lawyer,
I am considering getting married in North Carolina. My future husband and I agreed to signing a pre-nope - you never know.
We would like to include that:
1. Neither one of us has the right to claim anything for the other party which has been purchased, inheritance etc. before the wedding.
2. Also, anything that is being purchased/bills/taken loans etc. by one party will the that party´s responsibility, if it is just signed by that person.
3. I have a coaching business and do not want this to be affected in any marriage contract etc. Can I make sure that my business stays just in my name and not matter what....it will not be considered as part of the marriage deal?
4. Does a pre-nope has to be signed before the wedding?
Thank you and kind regards,
Petra
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. A pre-nup is always a good idea, if you both want to protect things which you are coming into the marriage with and/or want to keep separate, during the marriage. The pre-nup needs to be signed and executed before you actually get married. It is not uncommon to ask for things which were acquired prior to the marriage to remain separate ( even though they typically are unless something changes) and for each party to be liable for their own debts which they acquire during the marriage, as well. Also, if you have your coaching business, you want to make sure that he will not have any right or claim in it, even if he contributes to the business in someway, which could give him a possible claim. You can make sure it stays solely in your name and that he acknowledges this. Once the pre-nup is executed, you both should be advised by an attorney, to make sure you understand the rights you are possible giving up and just make sure it is done prior to getting married.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!