How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need some advice on how to deal with a private school loan

Customer Question

Hello I need some advice on how to deal with a private school loan to National colliegiate, that I had filled out for my daughter to attend college, she said she had missed one payment with them they put her in default, they filed a civil suit on myself because I cosigned for her, but I have been trying to work things out with them by making payments of $300.00 what I & my daughter can afford to paid at this time, I sent them a letter with a payment explaining to them this what I can afford at this time. This is the 3rd debt collector they have sent this loan to at all times we have made payments, this say one said that we missed two payment every since no we have not. Now I have 20 days to responses to the court & the attorneys office can you assist on how to response never had to go through anything like this... Civil law suit
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1. What is the name of the court that they sued you in?

2. Can you upload a copy of the lawsuit for us to look at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
State of Wisconsin, circuit court in Milwaukee at this time I have no way of sending or up loading the information, but on the letter they say it is a summons classification code 30301 Hon Christopher R Foley, Br 14 Civil E plaintiff National Collegiate Student LoanTrust vs My daughter Nygia L. Woodard, ***** *****ard go on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Milwaukee County, Milwaukee Wisconsin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I have not heard from you
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Okay, here is a sample format you can use as a GO-BY to prepare your response.

So, notice how it works. For each allegation in their complaint, you will have to respond by saying one of the following:

1. Agreed

2. Denied or

3. Agreed in part; Denied in part.

For each response you briefly would expalin why.

These rules will help you with the specifics....

Then, you would argue any affirmative defenses you may have. Here is a sample list you can use as a go-by:

(3) AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES. In pleading to a preceding pleading, a party shall set forth affirmatively any matter constituting an avoidance or affirmative defense including but not limited to the following: accord and satisfaction, arbitration and award, assumption of risk, contributory negligence, discharge in bankruptcy, duress, estoppel, failure of a condition subsequent, failure or want of consideration, failure to mitigate damages, fraud, illegality, immunity, incompetence, injury by fellow servants, laches, license, payment, release, res judicata, statute of frauds, statute of limitations, superseding cause, and waiver. When a party has mistakenly designated a defense as a counterclaim or a counterclaim as a defense, the court, if justice so requires, shall permit amendment of the pleading to conform to a proper designation. If an affirmative defense permitted to be raised by motion under s. 802.06 (2) is so raised, it need not be set forth in a subsequent pleading.

Then you would make any counterclaims you may have. For example if they violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. See here.

Let me know where you may still need help....I will be happy to assist you....

Related Family Law Questions