Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a son from an affair 11 years ago. They live in DC.

Customer Question

I have a son from an affair 11 years ago. They live in DC. Never said I'd leave my wife. Tried to get her to have an abortion and she let the time pass without action. No contact other than calls every month or so for the last 7 years (been in SC for the last 6yrs). Paid $6000/year all the time for child support even though nothing legal done and not on birth certificate. His mother is now trying to force time on me that I don't want. What are my obligations/risks?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

There is no legal obligation to exercise visitation or to spend time with the child......it is a parental right but not an obligation.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The mother may attempt to terminate your parents rights.....but hats practically the only serious consequence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bringing legal action to pay child support that may be greater than the $6000/year currently being paid?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That's possible.....depending on what your income is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a legal obligation to pay after the child is 18? Such as for college?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You can calculate what you would be required to pay here: http://csgc.oag.dc.gov/application/main/intro.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Child support in DC lasts until the child reaches 21 years of age. Here's a good link you can read: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/child-support-in-the-district-of-columbia

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The only obligation the court can order is for child support.....and that money can be used for any purpose.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again.