Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My son has joint custody of s 7y/o daughter. He has not been

Customer Question

my son has joint custody of his 7y/o daughter. He has not been allowed to see her for almost 4 yrs. He pays the court ordered child support every month. I am the paternal g'mother and neither I or my husband are allowed to see her because our son lives in a house on our property. Do we, as g'parents, have rights?
thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In short, yes grandparents do have visitation rights in many circumstances and you can read about the law at the following link: http://la-legal.com/louisiana-grandparent-visitation/

The easiest framework to fit into is usually the standard set by Title 9 of the Civil Code Ancillaries, which allows grandparent visitation where the visitation would be in the best interest of the child/ren.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

But, in order to enforce these rights, you'd have to petition your local family law court and ask the court to grant you the right to visitation with your granddaughter.