FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My ex boyfriend came into my home when I wasn't home and

Customer Question

My ex boyfriend came into my home when I wasn't home and took the dog what can I do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. How did he gain access to the home? Why did the police say they could not do anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had a key so they said wasn't a break in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I take him to civil court would I have a chance

Thank you. Even though he had a key, if you revoked his privilege to enter, what he did was illegal. For all you know, he gave the key back but made a copy and he entered without your permission. Now, as far as suing him, you certainly could. You could have a chance if you can show 1) you are the owner and 2) that he illegally entered the home and just removed the dog, without your permission.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!