ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

How can I enforce a judgment in California?

Customer Question

How can I enforce a Virginia judgment in California?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

That would require that you "domesticate" the judgment in California (where the judgment debtor lives). The form for that can be found here: http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/ej105.pdf

Under the SSMJA (beginning at Code of Civil Procedure 1710.10), a money judgment obtained in another state may be filed with a California court and a California judgment is entered immediately. Once served on the judgment debtor, it becomes enforceable, and a writ of execution is generally issued.

After service of the judgment, the judgment debtor has 30 days to file and serve a motion to vacate the judgment. But the judgment may only be vacated upon certain specified and proven grounds: (1) the most common: the sister state court (that entered the judgment) lacked either subject matter or personal jurisdiction over the defendant; (2) there is an appeal of the judgment pending in the sister state; (3) the sister state court has granted a stay of enforcement, or (4) there is a motion to vacate the judgment pending in the sister state.

You can also find the nearest self help center to assist you in filling it out and filing it. Here's a link to find the nearest one: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zEhweSNEO0H8.kBwpt5_HjQ9A&hl=en_US

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Was there anything else?