How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 115464
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 16 and she has a 2 month old baby and she ran

Customer Question

My daughter is 16 and she has a 2 month old baby and she ran away yesterday from my ex husbands and she left the baby there in Oklahoma. I live in Louisiana. I need sum advice on what to do about my grandson. I know I have grandparents rights but I don't know how far that goes and what to do. I'm worried for my daughter's safety. Please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, ever since the US Supreme Court ruled in Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000), grandparents rights are more of a myth, because the court held that the parents have a fundamental right (basic civil right) to make decisions for their child unless proven unfit by clear and convincing evidence.
However, you do have some rights since she did abandon the child. You and/or your ex would have to seek to file a petition for temporary custody based on your daughter abandoning the child with her father. If the father is not fit to have the infant and care for the infant, then you need to present evidence of that to the court and ask the court to award you the temporary custody.
As far as your daughter, all you can do at this point is wait for her to surface unless you want to hire a local private investigator to locate her.