Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My daughter is a supervisor in Food Services in a local

Customer Question

My daughter is a supervisor in Food Services in a local Washington Hospital. One of her employees is seriously ill, losing weight and currently hospitalized and the hospital & doctors cannot find out what is wrong with him going on several weeks. His ex-wife works in food preparation and is preparing his food. The ex-wife has claimed he abused their daughter and the daughter is afraid to deny it due to her mother's influence. My daughter has had him sign a HIPPA form and she is managing his money and personal situation while he is hospitalized. When questioned by detectives my daughter told them that she believes the ex-wife is poisoning his food she prepares in the hospital and should not be able to prepare his food because she really hates him. The ex-wife went to HR to report this to them and my daughter is afraid she may lose her job for this. Is this a violation of HIPPA law and can they fire her for being honest with the detective about her employee?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's dilemma. There is no HIPAA violation, as she did not disclose as a medical professional any confidential medical information. I suggest that she can be terminated at any time for any reason that is not based on discrimination. However, I suggest, that her opinion should not be a cause for the employer to consider termination.