LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

My ex and I were divorced back in 2002 in Arkansas. She

Customer Question

My ex and I were divorced back in 2002 in Arkansas. She remarried 3 months later to the guy she cheated on me with while I was deployed. She lived in Arkansas near me for 6 years after our divorce, while she was married to the cheater guy. After they divorced, she moved to new York in 2009. She is trying to get more child support out of me now, but my oldest daughter is 20, and my youngest will be 18 this November. She says that because new York law says I have to pay child support while my child/children are in college (my oldest is in college). But to my knowledge, Arkansas law says that 18 is the cut-off. Can she win this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A few more minutes please as I'm reviewing the statute.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, a federal Act applicable in all states, the issuing court retains jurisdiction over child support unless ALL parties move out of state, or if both parents consent to the jurisdiction of a new state. Otherwise, the issuing state retains jurisdiction and their age of termination (when support is to end) governs. Otherwise there would be a motive for custodial parents to forum shop, finding states with more extensive child support laws.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

--------------------------------------
Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

THANK YOU!