Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My fiancé has a child support warrant in another state, can

Customer Question

my fiancé has a child support warrant in another state, can we geta marriage license in a different state
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Any U.S. citizen can get a marriage license in any state he or she wants. However, the license is only good in the state where you got it. You don't have to be a resident of the state where you get married. Some states have waiting periods, though, so if you're planning to travel to another state for the sole purpose of getting married, check to see what their requirements are. If you can tell me where you're thinking about getting married, I can see if they have any waiting period.

Also, most court clerks who issue marriage licenses aren't going to check child support warrants before issuing it. They usually just want to see if the paperwork is in order. But I can understand being nervous about going to the courthouse when there's a warrant against you.

You should also be aware that, if you get joint bank accounts after you get married, child support enforcement will be able to take money out of those accounts - even if you're the one who deposited it. They would not be able to take money you deposited into an account in your name only.