LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Is a suicide attempt after chemotherapy grounds of custody

Customer Question

Is a suicide attempt after chemotherapy grounds for loss of custody of children from a mother to their father?? Cancer is the reason of chemotherapy
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

A suicide attempt by one parent is always a legitimate basis for the other parent to seek temporary, full custody of the minor children of that couple, and the court will often grant such a request---again though, only on a temporary basis and until it is shown that the previous suicidal parent is no longer poses a threat of abuse or neglect to the child(ren)---as often is the case when the parent is suicidal.

Visitation will typically still be granted though. It is not as if the parent with the problems will be prevented from all contact with their child(ren).

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug