LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My divorce settlement has the following statement. I will

Customer Question

My divorce settlement has the following statement. I will contribute 1550.00 per month on or before the 5 th day of the month commencing October 5 2007 by deposit in a joint checking account used for purpose toward the expenses for residence of the parties
at the property including taxes mortgage propane electric land lines phone bills direct tv and snow removal driveway and barn. Peter shall pay monthly the cost of all remaining expenses not covered by That monthly contribution. When written this was intended
to cover all monthly expenses... Like food etc. how would you interpret it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because the language of the agreement specifically refers to the "residence" and goes on to list things such as taxes, mortgage, utilities, snow removal and the barn----all of which are directly related to the real property----in no way could a judge reasonable read into the agreement that this deposit was for food, or anything else not directly associated with maintenance the real property.

Items like food, medical expenses, car loans and outside entertainment would not be deemed to be included based on the language that you have quoted.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug